Saturday, November 6, 2010

DIY.

I read the most ingenious thing in Glamour a couple of weeks ago.  

The article was about affordable fashion, and how to be crafty on a budget.  I'm all about fashion and my life is one big budget, so I was all over the article.  It said if you can't find the right color nail polish in store, or if you're tired of all your old colors, mix new ones!  How have I not thought of this before? 
Make new colors by mixing your old ones.  Magnificent.  

Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to sit down and do the hard work of waiting for my nails to dry.  I grabbed my elephantine bag of nail polish and hit the ground running.  I had to find a bowl that I was willing to deface with all the colors of the rainbow.  That was my first task.  Secondly, I needed to appoint colors that would mix, and mix well.  Lastly I committed to a nail polish brush I was willing to commandeer for purposes of this new color, yet to be determined.  Then I got to mixing.  If you know me well, you can probably predict my colors of choice.  I ended up with red, pink, carrot, and white.  The result?  A coral of sorts.  THE color I haven't been able to find in stores.  [Not for less than $10 a bottle, anyway]  So now I'm on a mission.  I'm going to make new colors each time.  My ultimate goal is make teal.  That's something I haven't worn in this decade, and I'm determined to achieve it gracefully.  Teal is my next project.

Wow, that is a very big of example of teal. 


*Glamour says to add clear coat in the mix, just to give it the shine. 


So what about you?  Have you ever heard of this ingenious concept? 
Perhaps I missed the boat on this one and everyone's been doing it for years..

1 comment:

  1. Sadly I am not a big fan of painting my nails. It seems that whenever I do, about a half hour later my polish has chipped/peeled. So I kind of gave up on making the effort.

    But I do enjoy painting my toes in the summertime since those stay on longer. :)

    Good ideas though. :)

    ReplyDelete