Thursday, October 21, 2010

I was made for another era.

I've been meaning to write on this for a while.  I'm not quite sure if it'll come out eloquently or not, but my point must be made.  *Sometimes I feel like I was meant for another era.*  I'm not saying this in any sort of facetious way, as if God doesn't know exactly what He's doing by placing us in a particular place and time.  I'm just saying that I often feel like a square peg in a round hole in this generation of mine.  Oh sure, I love the lines and shapes of modern furniture and architecture, but my soul longs for tradition and days of old.

I think I would give almost anything to live a day in ancient history..  But not necessarily the obvious times in history, like the fall of Rome, or the day the light bulb was invented.  It's more the quiet times of history that I long for.  The thought of spending a day in the wooden pews of a 17th century Puritan church is intriguing.  Wearing all sorts of somber clothing, bearing not even an ankle is admirable to me.  There was an uprightness about that time.  I also think there was something unbearably enchanting about the Victorian era, where wealthy women wore their long hair in tresses and dresses of the most unreasonable shapes.  There were expectations back then; expectations of dance and etiquette.  Does anyone actually know how to quadrille anymore?

Very recently, my taste has even started to change.  I used to think IKEA furniture was the bomb, but now I find myself at antique stores, reveling in the artistry of a wooden armoir.  I've gotten into gold, too.. which was a total shock to me.  Not so much golden jewelry, but golden furniture and decor.  Large, ornate mirrors and frames catch my recent attention.  I have fallen in love with stand-alone porcelain tubs and tables with lions heads for feet.  If I could decorate my entire home with Victorian decor, I would.  If I could promenade around my house in a dress too big for the door frames, I would.  No Covergirl, no curling irons, no Facebook.  Just the sounds of the birds outside, landscaped courtyards stretching half a mile, and afternoon tea.  Ok, maybe I'm romanticizing it all, but why not?  It's beautiful to me.

As far as I know, there once was a generational reverence for things, like women.  There was a way to go about winning the heart of one's lady love; in courting and wooing.  No pulling up outside, waiting for her to hop in.  Men were taught that women should be treated in a particular way, opening doors, and standing when one entered the room.  These days, I often end up standing at places because men have taken all the seats.  Am I the only one who's disappointed by things like this?  I don't know.  But this is only half the story for me.

I'm also catching myself falling into more traditional roles, like staying quiet and letting my husband speak on behalf of me.  Scott and I are reading an amazing book called "Reforming Marriage", and I'll tell you it's not for the faint of heart.  God designed men and women to be very different from each other, and so our roles are very different.  Women are to bear children, God-willing, and men are to be spiritual leaders and financial providers for the household.  I see the beauty in it.  I see how it all works, and how it honors God.  I don't know, I just know something's brewing inside me.  I want to learn more about how to live in this generation I've been placed in, but still stay true to God's original intentions for me.  I'm ready to commit myself to God, whether I like it or not.

I don't want to sound like the things that once were are better than those that are now, but I think we could all stand to be a little more traditional. 

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. WE'VE DONE REFORMING MARRIAGE TOO!! The Douglas Wilson book? We have like 50 of his and his wife's books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you were wondering who Princess Eilonwy was, it's me, Londa English from church. I found your blog through Catherine following it. : ) I thought I'd tell you I just love this post! It's really exciting to me to see young couples who are concerned about the things you're concerned about and interested in the things you're interested in. I suppose that sounds a little unusual coming from someone younger... but it's really inspiring to me!
    God bless,
    Londa

    ReplyDelete