Saturday, March 26, 2011

Vermont will follow me forever.

It's high time for a new post!  I'm ashamed of myself for letting it go so long..  Would you like to know the true reason why I haven't been posting faithfully?  Simply this:  I now have a new e-mail account, and this blog is under my old one.  So every time I want to blog, I would need to sign out of my existing account and access my old one.  It would take all of three seconds, but yes; I'm that unindustrious at times. 

But I couldn't let it go any longer!  Two weeks ago I created an amazing batch of gluten-free cupcakes and today, my first batch of homemade granola.  I couldn't stand not to share this with the world.  So here we go.

A week or two ago, Scott and I had good friends over for dinner.  Although the four of us have spent some time together, we'd never had them over formally for a meal.  So I knew I had to create something wonderful for dessert!  Being an avid fan of King Arthur Flour [a bakery extraordinaire out of Vermont], I looked to them for help.  I squealed with delight when I stumbled across a recipe online for "Salted Vanilla Caramel Frosting".  I whipped up a decadent batch of their gluten-free chocolate cupcakes, and slathered them with this heaven-sent frosting.  The cupcakes were a HIT!  If you like the idea of "something salty, something sweet", then this recipe is for you!  Think chocolate-covered pretzels.  The frosting recipe was slightly more time-consuming than just confectioner's sugar + butter, but it's 10x better than any Betty Crocker frosting in a can.  [And trust me.. I like Betty Crocker]

A little sea salt and chocolate sprinkles on top made these a huge success: 



And also, today I made my first [ever] batch of homemade granola.  I guess I got Scott hooked on it, since I've been tearing into GF granola like it'll save my life.  So today's batch wasn't with gluten-free oats, but they can easily be substituted.  It was a simple coconut-almond recipe for granola that I found online, but I took some creative licensing.. I usually do.  I added some molasses, some Turbinado sugar [sugar in the raw], and a bit of extra salt.  Salt is my key secret ingredient.  Even in baked goods.  Some recipes call for unsalted butter, but I laugh in the face of danger. 

As a gift, I was given a small bottle of King Arthur's Vanilla Butternut extract.  I add it to things like French Toast to give it a sweet, buttery "something extra".  Today's granola was no exception.  Let's just say that the granola, as it was baking in the oven at 325, filled the air like potpourri.  I think Scott will be thrilled.  If you're interested in the recipe I used, let me know.  Otherwise, here are some photos.






It would be grand to make a life out of baking and creating. 
It truly would.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful wife I have. Creating tasty masterpieces. Your passion for baking is equaled by my passion for eating your baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm....amen to that. isn't there just something wonderfully satisfying in making something so delicious that it brings you great joy?

    your recipes looked delicious. it's funny you did a salted caramel themed cupcake because out here in seattle, salted caramel (the flavor) is huge. it's practically everywhere. my favorite local ice cream shop has it as one of their standard flavors. Also, a local chocolate maker (Theo chocolate--the only organic, fair-trade chocolate maker in the US) has a salted caramel chocolate. And they also have salted caramel lattes for the coffee drinkers out here. It's crazy!

    But yea, I just wanted to mention that. Perhaps you can be inspired to add the salted caramel flavor into other things......please, continue to use your license to create. :)

    And about the granola.... Homemade granola is the best because you can make so much at one time (or so little) AND you have control over what you put into it, which is awesome.

    Love it.

    Love u too. :)

    ReplyDelete