Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"It looks like something washed up on shore.."

Last night Scott and I attended my first ever gluten-free cooking class!  It was pretty fun, and I learned quite a bit.  The class took place in a local health food store called Earth Fare.  A local gluten-free baker named The Thoughtful Baker led the class on how to prepare gluten-free pizzas.  Unfortunately she wouldn't divulge her secret recipe for GF pie crusts, but I certainly learned some unique ways to decorate a pizza!  One of the more unique ones was a fig, bleu cheese, and caramelized onion pizza.  Scott and I both agreed it was rather bizarre, but we were thrilled to have tasters of each pie created. 
We also tried our first vegan pizza!  Check out the pictures below. 

*The pizza on the left was a salad pizza topped with toasted prosciutto.
The pizza on the right was the vegan pizza made with fire-roasted pepper sauce, non-dairy cheese, and caramelized onions.





And today I tried a brand new recipe!  Two years ago I wasn't even as remotely creative in the kitchen, but now I'm all about trying new things.  Ever since beginning this new gluten-free diet, I've become extremely interested in expanding my palate. 
A little bit of deprivation breeds awesome creativity! 

Today's recipe?  Chicken Sausage with Kale
If you're anything like me, kale may as well be from another planet.  Upon reading the recipe I even said something silly like, "Isn't that from the ocean?".  The good news is that kale and kelp are two very different birds.  Kale is something of a cross between a wild cabbage and collard greens.  [Collard greens... Man, I MUST be in the south]  It's a thick, leafy vegetable that's super-packed with nutrients and antioxidants, and is considered an anti-inflammatory. 
I figured I'd give the recipe a go.  

The basic ingredients were organic chicken sausage, kale, white beans, onions, garlic, chicken broth, and grated Parmesan cheese.  Although the recipe was rather time-consuming to prepare, it was relatively basic, only being seasoned with salt & pepper and some crushed red pepper for heat.  Scott and I were both satisfied with the outcome of the dish.  I smiled my entire way through the meal because I knew how good it was for us.  Protein, fiber, protein, and more fiber. 

Let me know if you'd like the official recipe.  Certainly a healthy dish for consideration.



Thanks for reading.  =)

1 comment:

  1. wooohoo!
    man, chris, you have come such a long way. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to feel this way but I am soooo proud of you. It is wonderful.

    Remember when you used to just eat melted cheese on italian bread( white bread) and kirby cucumbers dipped in bleu cheese!! Wow! You have grown up so much.

    I;m excited for when you guys come out here (notice I said when.. ::wink wink::). You will be so amazed at all of the unique flavors available. The culinary world out here is insane!

    but yea, for now, keep doing what you are doing. Love it!!

    love u!

    ReplyDelete