Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This pursuit of mine.

Banana bread has always been a favorite of mine.  The past year or two I've even started to add chocolate chips to the recipe.. which only perpetuated my problem.

I have, hands down, THE best banana bread recipe of all time.  I don't generally say things like that when it comes to the kitchen [since I'm far from well-seasoned in it.. (no pun intended)], but it's true.  A whole bunch of ingredients get dumped into one bowl [just one bowl!], mixed, and tossed into the oven.  I made a loaf for my next door neighbor for Christmas, and she said it's the best banana bread she's ever had.. 
and I think she's in her 70's.  

The only problem with this [amazing] banana bread is the fact that two loaves calls for 3 cups of sugar, 4 eggs, and a cup of oil.  Totally horrifying.  If you're someone like me who's watching your cholesterol, this recipe should have caution tape all over it. 
But MAN, is it good. 

Anyway.  Yesterday I went on a mission to find a healthy banana bread recipe.  Didn't think it'd happen, but Google can do some amazing things.  I substituted my GF flour, left out the nuts, and an hour later I had healthy banana bread.  Truly healthy, as in yogurt and egg whites.  Truthfully, it wasn't nearly as sweet as I was accustomed to, so when I do it again I'll add a little more sugar.  Maybe even double.. but that's still half the sugar of my other recipe.  I'm including the recipe here on my site, to give credit to the woman who created it.  And below is a picture of the finished product.  If you're looking for a healthy banana bread recipe that isn't sweet like cake,
this one's for you. 

The vanilla yogurt allowed it to be moist, regardless of the fact that it calls for so little oil.  Certainly the way to go.  


**PS - I did the math.  And for my fellow Weight Watchers out there, the entire loaf is 56 points.  I divided the loaf into 10 slices, making each slice approximately 5.5 PP points.  VERY reasonable for a breakfast on the go. 
[and I don't cut wimpy slices!!]


4 comments:

  1. RIP chocolate chip banana bread...

    2005-2010. You'll be sorely missed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you domestic diva you.. :)

    i think i shall try it out sometime.
    I still have your banana bread recipe (the same one) you gave me at my bridal shower. i think i made it once and it definitely turned out delicious. of course, it yielding 2 loaves was a bit much but it was tasty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Emi, that banana bread recipe from your shower is hands down the best one I've ever had. BUT it's a nightmare as far as the nutritional facts go. Just made this new banana bread recipe again yesterday and am totally loving it. Just make sure you put at LEAST 3 bananas in it, or it will be really dry. I put 2 in yesterday's and it's a bit crumbly. <3

    ReplyDelete